Monday, May 08, 2006

Absolutely AMAZING News About Our Injured Marine, Ben Hardgrove

Guys,

It's been a while since I posted an update on our own Jamie Woodard's son, Ben Hardgrove, who was struck by a car just hours after returning from his second deployment to Iraq with the Marines 3/7.

For a month he lay in a coma at the hospital in Palm Springs, CA that saved his life, and they told his mother that Ben was in a "persistent vegetative state" and that only a miracle would enable him to recover.

But the "soldier's angels"--volunteers who sat by Ben's bedside when his distraught mother had to return to Texas to care for her other children--told her every day that they were certain Ben was trying to wake up but that he was being kept heavily sedated and restrained.

She searched for, and found a superb facility in Austin, the Texas Neurological Rehabilitation Center, and convinced the Marine Corps to transfer Ben there. They did so last Thursday.

Here is Jamie's journal entry on the caringbridges website, which is set up for the parents of injured servicemembers to post updates on their progress for family and friends:

"The trach may be coming out tomorrow then it will be 24 hours before he can talk. The therapist told us he will be talking in no time. The optimism about him is so incredible and so good to hear, after all the negative in California.

"I missed it but when his sister came to talk to him, they said he slightly smiled at her.

"FRIDAY, MAY 05, 2006 11:56 PM, CDT

"Ben had rehab today, he did very well, he was able to tolerate standing for a short while. He is no longer in a coma. The track was downsized and he said OWWW! as he was moved from the bed to the table. He was also able to tell us his throat hurt by shaking his head yes. He can focus pretty well with his eyes. The meds are being weaned down some. He likes his face to be washed and to have lotion on his hands, Im not touching his stinky feet, he has foot rot from the time in Iraq, but we are working on it.

"The rehab lets me and his step dad watch while he is getting treatment and we can participate with it. I am learning a lot. He finally had real clothes on today, which is such a plus and shoes. It makes him not look like a patient in the hospital. Im finding I like taking care of him, and he likes to hear my voice, I think he is saying hi mom sometimes. The trach has made a huge difference. The trach may come out next week, which will be a huge plus for him, he does not like it.

"He has lost about 50 lbs, and his muscles have lost tone, but they will rest him over the weekend and put cast on next week to straighten his arms out. Things look good right now, and we pray for more progress each day. I have had to make myself go into his room every day, but it has gotten easier the more progress I see. I know he hears us, and I hate leaving him each evening. They have let us stay for 12 hours a day with him, which has been good for me. His stepdad lotions him, and talks to him about "boy" stuff. I tend to baby him. His rehab will rival boot camp, he will wish he was back in San Diego!!

"Hopefully more progress tomorrow.

"Bensmom"

Guys, I tell you, ever since that boy got hurt, and I knew what my friend and fellow Marine mom Jamie was going through, it's been as though a dark cloud hovered over me day and night. I was heartsick and scared and praying but not knowing even WHAT to pray for, you know?
But the e-mails I got from so many of you who prayed so passionately and shared Ben's story with prayer groups and checked on his progress and donated money...I can never express to you what it has meant, not just to me, but to Jamie. You guys from the Marine Corps family don't know her and your sons don't know Ben, but that didn't matter. He was a Marine just back from the war, and that's all any of you needed to know.

You have cradled us all in your arms and in your hearts, and we are so very grateful.

Obviously, Ben has a very, very long road ahead of him. He will most likely never be the same. But he is alive, and with the grace of God, able to stand up.

He is able to stand up!!!!!!!

Miracles DO happen, and don't you ever forget it. When I read the journal entry, I ran sobbing to my bewildered husband, who hugged me and said, "You should be happy!" And I said, "THIS IS HAPPY YOU BIG DUMMY!"

If you'd like to read Jamie's progress reports, visit:

www.caringbridges.org/visit/lcplbenhardgrove.

Let's all keep praying, and I will post updates from time to time.

Semper fidelis,
Deanie

7 Comments:

Blogger Miss Ladybug said...

I googled Ben's name today, and found your post. I have had the pleasure of visiting Ben at the Texas NeuroRehab Center here in Austin, and I have been able to meet his mom, his step-dad, and his siblings Mike and Jessie. A wonderful family! I found out about Ben through Soldiers' Angels (I just signed up this spring). I only live about 3 miles from the hospital, so I am able to visit regularly. I first visited on May 6th, and already I see wonderful improvement. He was actually awake when I went last night! I have seen such an outpouring of support for Ben and his family - the Marines in the area now know he's there, and they've been to see him, too. I look forward to seeing Ben get better!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Deanie Mills said...

Miss Ladybug, you really ARE an angel. I've been absolutely blown away by the incredible kindness and compassion from the Soldier's Angels who have graced Ben with their presence. And the sense of family from other Marine Corps parents, even those who don't know Jamie or Ben, has truly been heartwarming. Thanks for all you do and are.

Deanie

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I met some Force Recon Marines in my time overseas and one of them told me..."Marines aren't allowed to die without a fight."

From what I've heard this young Marine indeed did fight, and like many Marine's I have the pleasure of knowing, he came out on top because he knew what he was fighting for and he was made of tougher stuff. Tougher then God, some have said :-D

I am always pleased when I hear about a fellow servicemember beating the odds, and it always gets me choked up thinking about all of the kind, caring, wonderful people there that care for him even though they never knew him.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a military Mom who has been following Ben's recovery.

From the messages on his site he is making progress.

He was retired from the Marines with FULL benefits earlier this year.

He has a new site for updates.

www.carepages.com

His Care Page name is:
benhardgrove

Ongoing encouragement is
so important.

Signed a friend who cares.
Deb Estep
Ohio

4:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi my name is Erik Barden, i was the medic at ben's bedside immediately after the accident. I would very much like to let Ben know that ive thought about him almost everyday. I was Ben's doc in iraq, and i miss him dearly because i thought of him as family. I love ya ben, we all do.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Deanie Mills said...

Eric, I almost missed your comment because I stopped using this blog, oh, about this time I guess, 5 years ago. I now post at "Deanie's Blue Inkblots," at http://deaniemills.com

So when this comment came in my Yahoo e-mail acct., I thought it was spam and didn't check it until today. I have forwarded that e-mail, with your comment in full, to Ben's mom, Jamie.

From what I understand, Ben is at home now. He can respond to e-mails, if I'm not mistaken, in very brief sentences. In some ways he will never be the same again, and he is unable to take care of himself, but he is far more aware than anyone ever imagined he would be able to be. This has been a VERY long road for his family, but their love for him has never wavered.

I know Jamie will be thrilled to hear from you. My son was also a Marine, (2 combat deployments to Iraq; he's a civilian now), and they love their "docs" like family.

God bless you, son, and Semper fi.

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Deanie Mills said...

Erik, I forwarded your comment to Jamie Woodard, Ben's mom, and she asked if I would give you her e-mail address--which I have no way of doing privately here on this blog like I can my other one--so she asked me to ask you to be sure and "friend" her on Facebook. I believe she posts updates on Ben there.

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home