Friday, April 21, 2006

MILITARY MUTINY: "I will never trust them again."

"I now know I wrongfully placed my faith and trust in a presidential administration hopelessly mired in incompetence, hubris, and lack of accountability. It planned a war based on false intelligence and unrealistic assumptions. It has strategically surrendered the condition of victory in Iraq to people who do not share our vision, values, or interests. The Bush administration has proven successful at only one thing in Iraq--painting us into a corner with no feasible exit…I will never trust them again."
--Christopher H. Sheppard, former Marine captain who served two tours of duty in Iraq and took part in the battle of Fallujah, November, 2004. Quoted from his piece, "Coming Home--Disillusioned," The Seattle Times, April 12, 2006.

"My sincere view is that the commitment of our forces was done with a casualness and swagger that are the special provinces of those who have never had to execute these missions--or bury the result."
--Lieutenant General Greg Neubold (ret) "Why Iraq Was a Mistake," Time magazine, April 9, 2006.


"Make no mistake. The retired generals who are speaking out against Rumsfeld in interviews and op-ed pieces express the views of hundreds of other officers on active duty. When I recently asked an Army officer with extensive Iraq combat experience how many of his colleagues wanted Rumsfeld out, he guessed 75 percent. Based on my own conversations with senior officers over the past three years, I suspect that figure may be low."
--David Ignatius , "Replace Rumsfeld," Washington Post, April 14, 2006.



This is my first blog entry, other than updates on my friend Jamie Woodard's critically injured Marine son, in almost a month, and there is a reason for that.

I almost quit.

I had this feeling that nobody was out there. Nobody was listening, or cared. That I was a voice in the wilderness, but like the proverbial tree falling in the woods that nobody hears--if nobody CARES, then what's the point?

I had to do some soul-searching and seek to figure out what I wanted to do, how I wanted to do it, and why--or if I wanted to do it at all.

And then I read the piece by Leonard Pitts, Jr, in the Baltimore Sun, "Gestures of Conscience Bring Solace," about speaking truth to power, especially when it goes against the accepted grain. He said that, when great injustices are perpetrated upon a people, history often looks back and asks the question, How could that have happened? How could the people have let that happen?

He talked about the era of Joseph McCarthy's bullying, innuendoes and lies that had Americans suspecting their neighbors of being Communists…of the practice in World War II, of shipping Japanese Americans--many of whom had sons fighting in the war--off to live in internment camps on the Pacific coast…of the years of Jim Crow, when African Americans were being strung up and lynched for no other reason than that they sassed a white or gazed at a white woman.

Where were good Americans when these injustices, these TRAVESTIES, were taking place? Did no one speak out?

Mr. Pitts knows that true believers in any president or any cause will not be convinced if evidence is screaming into their faces, and that those who dissent already know and need no convincing.

All true.

But, he adds, "History's verdict is all we have left. And when tomorrow calls today into account, some of us want to say we stood up. We called out. We were not silent. "

Mr. Pitts wants to be counted among the number who spoke out, no matter how unpopular the cause or how disinterested the listeners. "The rest of us are left…trying to make certain that when the official record is written, we are not indicted by our silence."

I consider myself a proud member of what I like to call, The 25% Club.

I am referring to the roll-up to war in Iraq, when only a measley 25% of us openly protested what I called at the time A BOGUS WAR. We did so at great risk of being openly booed, as Michael Moore was when he accepted his Academy Award for Farenheit 911, of being accused of being unpatriotic, as triple-amputee and Vietnam vet Max Cleland was, of being told, if we had loved ones in the military, that we were undermining their efforts and destroying their morale if we did not stand silent and wave the flag.

I actually got into a shouting match with my sister-in-law, Bobbie, about it in May of 2003. At a busy public restaurant. During a family meal. When we were supposed to be celebrating my daughter's college graduation.

And now. NOW.

Now, the numbers are almost completely, well, FLIP-FLOPPED, to coin a phrase. Now something like 75% of the American people question this war, believe this war was a mistake, believe the president and his minions lied us into the war, or at the very least, feel profoundly uneasy and anxious about just how long we are going to be bogged down in it before the comparisons to Viet Nam become more uncomfortably apt.

Only about 25% of the American people still stubbornly believe that the war was a good idea, is being handled correctly, and that Rummy and our commander-in-chief are doing a heck of a job.

Now, we have a right, indeed, a moral imperative, to say, We told you so, but you wouldn't listen.

And let me tell you something. As I write these words, my son is fighting with the Marine Corps in his second deployment to Iraq, after having taken part in the historic battle of Fallujah in November of 2004, and he is sick and tired of the struggle, war-weary to his very bones, angry and bitter that they no longer have any idea what their mission is any more except survival.

Do you think it gives me any great satisfaction to have been proven right? When my son's life is in terrible danger every moment of every day? Do you know how it makes me feel?

FILLED WITH A RIGHTEOUS RAGE. That's how I feel. I shake my fist in the direction of Washington, D.C., and I SHOUT…

Only now.

ONLY NOW.

Only now, I am not alone. Let anyone DARE question the patriotism of no less than SEVEN retired generals from every branch in the service, some of whom served under the mighty Donald Rumsfeld in Iraq…Let anyone DARE accuse them of undermining the troops.

"The cost of flawed leadership continues to be paid in blood. The willingness of our forces to shoulder such a load should make it a sacred obligation to get our defense policy right. They must be absolutely sure that the commitment is for a cause as honorable as the sacrifice."
--Liet. Gen. Greg Neubold (ret), "Why Iraq Was a Mistake," Time magazine, April 9, 2006.


Let anyone DARE accuse them of being political partisans…let anyone DARE say they are merely reflecting a "liberal media."

Go ahead. Say it to their faces--especially you chickenhawks who were so quick to send OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN into battle when you, yourself never served, never sent a child away to die.

You have to understand something about the military culture. Unquestioning obedience is literally brainwashed into every soldier, sailor, and Marine: it is the standout lesson of boot camp.

And there is a powerful tradition in the military of not speaking out in defiance of their commander-in-chief, most especially not during a war. Privately, yes. Publicly, no.

So, for these high-ranking officers, some of whom protested the war from the beginning, to speak out now in clear public forums is not something that they have easily done. It took great anguished soul-searching on the part of each and every one.

But they can't stand by. They can't stand by and watch our boys and girls come home under secret cover of darkness in C-130 planes filled with flag-draped coffins, or onboard medical flights, spidered with tubes and bandages.

Only someone who has known the gut-wrenching terror and glory of battle can possibly understand the high cost of asking someone else to fight your battles. They can't do it any more, and they can't stand by and watch others do it, not like this--with no idea what they're doing there now, or how they got there, or why, or when they'll get out.

They cannot, they will not, be silent.

For the administration to toss aside their protests as so much sour grapes, for the Secretary of Defense to send out memos of talking points to supportive generals so they'll say just the right thing in rebuttal on talk shows, for the president to act as if none of this matters, while every day, more boys and girls die and get shipped off to die…is a profound moral sin.

How DARE they thump the Bible and profess their Christianity loud and clear, all while manipulating and maneuvering a war for purely political purposes, taking advantage of the public trust, spinning lies and near-lies and trumping up false causes, all while lining their own pockets with oil company profits gained from corrupt no-bid White House contracts. (Vice-President Dick Cheney, former CEO of no-bid contract Halliburton, made more than a quarter of a million dollars in profit from that company in 2006 ALONE.)

How DARE they use and abuse our bravest and our finest fighting men and women, dooming thousands to death and thousands more to maiming and mutilation, and almost all of them to lifelong psychic scarring just because, hell, war is good for business. Just ask all those fat-cat defense contractors buzzing around Congress like flies around a corpse. Or just ask the oil companies, who dole out half-a-billion dollar contracts to their retiring CEOs while jacking up the prices at the pump to what is estimated by summer to reach more than $4 a gallon in some parts of the country.

And we all know how good war can be for POLITICS, don't we

“Naturally, the common people don’t want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country. It works the same in any country.”
--Herman Goering
Hitler’s Reichmarschall
At the Nuremburg trials.

I am the mother of a Marine Corps fighting man, and I will call out my outrage, I will speak truth to power, I will be counted, I WILL NOT BE SILENT…I will be a word-warrior for the real warriors, I will fight for the fighters...until the politicians who pulled off the greatest scam in this country's military history are not only drummed out of office...but properly burn in hell.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just watch! The next presidential election will come and go and we'll most likely be stuck with another dumb ass Republican! Don't underestimate the power of talk radio, and I do mean Rush and his asshole buddies...right wing babble is 90 per cent of talk radio now...who will be railing about the Democrats 24/7, especially their candidate is Hillary. Then there all those bible thumbing wackos who will be spreading the gospel about defeating those Demo heathens in the hope of getting prayer back in the schools and outlawing abortions.

There are two groups (both left leaning by the way) which really put this clown who used to be on the cover of Mad Magazine in office the first time. If those wackos who voted for Nutcase Nader had voted for Gore instead, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Then there were the tens of millions of young people who just sat on their fat asses and didn't bother to vote. They had the most to lose but they just couldn't bother...too busy playing video games and listening to that cultural rot called rap on their iPods I suppose. They did the same thing on the last election and Kerry lost by another small margin. Fucking pathetic! I have as much respect for them as I do the current administration.

Yeah the country (except for the real ass kissing GOP wackos!) is sick of Bush and the war but when the next election comes in two short years, it will most likely be more of the same. We are a country of dummies (just look at network TV for proof of that!). Over fifty years ago Adlai Stevenson, running for president against Eisenhower, gave a great speech and one of his aides said to him "Mr. Stevenson, after that speech you will have the vote of every thinking American!" Adlai replied "That won't be enough...I need a majority!" The key word was "thinking" of course. Nothing much has changed!

7:06 AM  
Blogger Deanie Mills said...

Wow, Lloyd, where did you come from? I'm used to getting responses from talking-point right-wingers who can only complain because I'm bashing their boy again.

I've been offline a couple days so am only just now getting back to you. I don't share your pessimistic view of our chances at the ballot box not just in '06 but in '08 as well. Yes, the Reps did take over the airwaves while the Dems were napping, but guess what? The Dems then took over the Internet while the Reps were busy high-fiving each other, and now carry a similar power, just in a different venue. Howard Dean proved that by raising millions in $25 donations.

Yes, I am also pissed at the Nader-voters, because they did hand the Oval to Bush and they did waste their votes. Most of them were quite young and I believe they have learned from their "youthful transgressions."

The war though. Do not underestimate it. I was talking to my retired Marine-dad just last night. Now, he makes Rush look like a liberal Johnson Democrat. And he said that when a fund-raiser called and asked for $$ for the Reps, he flat-out told her that, "Until they come up with some kind of realistic scenario to stabilize Iraq and get out, you'll not see another dime of my money." He said she, quote, "kept saying the same tired old thing they always say. I was so mad I nearly hung up on her."

Now, this is a 77-year old NRA jarhead all the way, and he is that disgruntled.

I think we have a realistic shot to take back the Senate in '06; not so much the House, but possibly, and the White House in '08 if they don't run Hillary. I'm a fan, but she's just the ticket to energize folks like my dad and get them to the polls to put some other right-winger in.

One more thing. Please refrain from using the "f" word. I don't screen my posters here, and I welcome all points of view, right, left, or center, and I would hate to lose, say, an Independent or Moderate Republican who might be on the verge of being persuaded, because they were offended by language. So just keep that in mind buddy, and I'll look forward to seeing you any time.

12:42 PM  
Blogger MarineMom said...

Great posts Deanie! I have a lot of catching up to do with reading your blog because I have been so otherwise distracted lately.

Thanks so much for all the info you have put here for Ben and Jamie. Prayers are being answered as far as Ben is concerned and we all believe he will continue to improve.

I hope to encourage Jamie to write about some of things that Ben went through before he got home from Iraq. I truly believe that those things directly contributed to his state of mind which in my eyes caused him to react the way he did and get hit by that car.

In any case ... keep up the good work! And your son remains in my prayers!

hugs
Tami aka Marine mom

6:37 AM  
Blogger MarineMom said...

oh .. and if we do end up with another Republican in office (God FORBID) after the present administration .. I really don't know how to say this other than this way .. America deserves what it will receive.

And Deanie .. check this site out if you get a chance .. http://yrnews.com/editor.htm .. the writer of this page is Brent Kellogg and I think you will enjoy his views and commentary.

I will be back soon.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Deanie Mills said...

Tami! I'm so glad to hear from you girl! Now that your precious boy is home safe and sound and in one piece and of (reasonably) post-war sound mind, I can't IMAGINE what you've been distracted by ha ha.

I told Jamie, flat-out, that I blamed this war for what happened to Ben. Yes, he did a dumb thing, drinking too much and running out into the parking lot an hour after he got back and smack into a car, BUT, I believe you are absolutely right. The horrifying experience he had when the humvee was hit by the IED and he lost several buddies and "held the lieutenant's brains" in his hands TWO WEEKS before coming home? To my way of thinking, this is a classic case of "survivor's guilt," and any running that poor boy was doing was from his own demons, God bless him. I pray every day that he will be returned to his mama with his old grin and hug. And if not, well, one more reason, to add to the almost 2400 KIA and more than 17,000 wounded...for this administration to burn in hell.

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was openly against the war back in 2003 before the military invaded.

There was time in there, from about late 2002 to Feb 2003 when I and those like me thought that we could make a difference.

We tried to engage our peers (college age) in discussions about avoiding the war, thinking of peaceful solutions, etc...

Watching Shock and Awe on TV, I felt like I had lost.

The mistake has been made. This war is a trap door you can't come back from.

The next time (if there is a next time) your country wants to shed blood for questionable motives, true patriots will take action, instead of trying to convince the ignorant that fire will burn them.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Deanie Mills said...

Bernard, your eloquence is powerful, beautifully stated, and even more importantly--right.

I keep two framed photos on my desk. One is of my son during the battle of Fallujah, carrying an AK-47 he had confiscated from an insurgent. Facing it is one of my daughter, marching in NY to protest the war during the Republican convention. She wore her brother's photgraph, pinned to her shirt.

The way I see it, my son and his buddies' courage and conviction were taken advantage of by the liars and thieves in the White House. He enlisted just after he graduated college, due to 9-11. He was more than ready to go to Afghanistan and hunt down the people who had attacked our country.

Instead, he and his buddies and their ideals were hijacked and shipped off to risk their lives in an unneccesary and immoral war, for reasons that have changed, by my count, no less than five times since the spring of 2003.

My bitterness stems, in part, from the crucifixion those of us suffered to dared question the motives for this war--not just by politicians, but by friends and family as well, even when they meant well because they honestly believed we were undermining the morale of our troops.

But as Col. David Hackworth, the most-decorated combat vet living, said to me before his death, poor troop morale comes from being sent to hell for no good reason and no way of knowing when they can come home--not from patriots demanding answers.

It is my honest belief that the revolt of the generals is directly timed to counter the recent saber-rattling concerning Iran.

They won't stand by and watch it happen again, and I sincerely believe that most of the people at the Pentagon won't, either.

It's tough to fight a war when nobody will fight it for you.

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless you Ma'am.

Some may say that you are being unpatriotic. That you're hurting the morale of the troops. Some are wrong.

You are giving us proof that we are in fact defending a nation full of freedoms, however covered they may seem. You are excersizing your right that your son joined to protect.

Carry on, Ma'am.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Deanie Mills said...

Ya know, you gotta stop makin' me cry. :-)

I think one reason I get so angry now is that when my son first deployed to fight in Fallujah, I was absolutely WRACKED with anguish that I had to support the war in order to support the warrior. But at the same time, he did not have proper body armor, nor properly armored humvees. (They have them now, but how many were lost in the seige of Fallujah because civilian leaders forced them into a hurry-up war before we were fully prepared?)

I didn't have anybody to talk to. So I sent an e-mail to Col. Hackworth, because I knew he'd be straight to me. "Hack" as he preferred to be called, not only answered me personally, right away, but told me that not only is is okay to hate the war when you love the warrior, but that it was our duty, here back at home, to raise high holy hell until Congress or whoever saw to it that they had the materiel and support they needed to do the job they'd signed up for and been shipped over to do.

I will be grateful to him until the day I die, because he probably never knew how much that meant to me. I wrote his widow and made sure she knew.

It's interesting. You'd think my son would have been angry with his sister for protesting the war in NY when he was fighting it in Iraq. But he wasn't. He was proud of her.

True warriors never fear speaking truth to power. They only fear being forgotten.

God bless you for your service. May you be protected from harm and defended from evil, and thank you again.

Semper fi,
Deanie

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home