Thursday, January 26, 2006

"Your blog has become...just typical extreme left Bush-bashing."

Oh my Loooord, you gotta laugh. I mean REALLY.

Obviously whoever wrote this has never in his or her life ever SEEN "extreme left Bush-bashing." Drop in over at Democrats.com (not the official Democratic Party website, which would be Democrats.NET) for starters, or hang out at Buzzflash or My Left Wing or Rudepundit or Americablog or Daily Kos or Crooks and Liars...I don't think I need to go on, but there are hundreds of websites out there full of inflammatory hate-Bush rhetoric, some of which makes me blush.

In point of fact, I have not "bashed" Bush once. I have stated truth, such as, that he used his congressman father's influence to get into the National Guard and thus avoid the draft and the Vietnam war--anyone who doubts this was not around back then, when there was a draft and if you weren't in college and were a certain age and male, you got drafted. They didn't even have the lottery then. Poor guys or guys without influential friends or relatives who really really didn't want to go to war ran off to Canada or whatever they could, and rich guys and guys with connections caught a break, (unless they chose to step up, as Al Gore and John Kerry did, neither of whom had to.) That's just the way it was during that long and bloody messy war. That is a fact.

The only reason the streets are not full of war protesters these days is because there is no draft. Re-instate the draft and see how quickly the campuses turn to mush.

I did not, in fact, refer to Bush and Cheney as chickenhawks. The subject of my blog at that time was Jacob Goldberg, who had claimed that he couldn't go into the service and go off to war because it would be a hardship on his family. I stated fact, and pointed out that it's awfully hard on all the men and women over there who've left families for the second or third time. Dick Cheney did indeed take five draft deferments when he was called up and said later that he had "other priorities" than going off to war. This is fact.

Stating an uncomfortable truth or fact is most assuredly NOT "bashing." Over on Buzzflash, for example, they refer to conservative Republicans as "Busheviks" and Bush's famous "base" as "Stepford Kool-Aid drinking." That Bush is malevolent and evil. And so on. You won't find things like that on my blog, and if you think what I do is "bashing," well, you need to get out more, a little bit away from all your comfort zones where everywhere you go, everybody you know agrees with you.

What may appear to a conservative reading my blog as a "rant," is in fact, a blog. It is my thoughts. If they sound frustrated at times, it could be because I have a son in Fallujah at the moment, for his second go-round--he helped clean that city out of insurgents in November of 2004. If he dies, I want a clear understanding as to WHY. I have that right. If you do not have a child in this war or you have not gone over there yourself, you do not have the right to "bash" me for my honest questions, fears, and anxieties about the disorganized, unprepared way in which we entered this war and the chaotic way it has been handled by the same people who started it in the first place.

And if you do not think it has been handled in a chaotic way, perhaps it would help if you had three family members who have been over there not once, not twice, but THREE times. My nephew says, every time he goes over there, it gets worse and worse. Tell me it isn't, anonymous, and I'll decide whom to believe, you or the guys fighting it.

Now, about this much-exalted PLAN PLAN WHERE'S THE DEMOCRATIC PLAN????

First of all, I must say that as I write this, it is late at night and I've been away from my computer for several days. There are some things I intend to look up so that I can be accurate, and I will do so in the next few days.

Suffice it to say, there are two points I'd like to make on that at this time. One, THE DEMOCRATS DON'T HAVE A COMMANDER IN CHIEF. THE REPUBLICANS DO. There isn't a presidential election going on at the moment, therefore, the Democrats do not have one candidate to get behind.

Therefore, the views on this war cut a broad swath, just as they do in the general populace, and among thoughtful Republicans as well. Some want to pull out now to safer deserts. BUT THAT IS A VERY SMALL MINORITY OF THE PARTY. When Representative John Murtha made his stand, ONLY ONE DEMOCRATIC CONGRESSMAN JOINED HIM. That would be Nancy Pelosi, who is a liberal.

But the vast majority of Democrats disagree with that--as do I, as a matter of fact. We're there now. As former Secretary of State Colin Powell said, "we broke it, so we have to pay for it." If we pull out now, civil war with almost assuredly erupt, so we have to figure out how to keep that from happening without having to stay there indefinitely, simply because our military is stretched way way too thin. The same guys are fighting this war over and over again, and they're exhausted, their families are falling apart, and the budget is straining. (I know one guy in the service who is over there right now for his FOURTH time. He's married and has several kids. This is shameful.)

However, believe it or not, several thoughtful Democrats have put forth some amazing, well-strategized plans for dealing with this mess.

But the so-called liberal media has not said one thing or focused even one episode of "60 Minutes" on any of these plans. No, instead, they've gone into hysterical overdrive because ONE Democrat advocated pulling out.

And the Republican attack machine was only too quick to label all the rest of the Democrats as weak "cut-and-runners" who didn't know anything to do but bail out, and consequently, it becomes accepted wisdom to anyone who does not take the trouble to actually LOOK IT UP.

The main mistake the Democratic party makes, as a whole, is not responding more forcefully when they are attacked. They need to be more aggressive and put the Republicans on the ropes more often, put the Republicans on the defensive, instead of the other way around. They could learn something from Karl Rove. I get very frustrated with them all the time. And, I'd like to see these war plans get more exposure than just the New York Times op-ed pages, but until the next election, when one voice can speak for the party after a nomination, then whose plan do you put forth?

Some of these Democratic plans make a great deal of sense. When I've had a little time in the next couple days to do the research, I'll put forth some of the points here, with proper acknowledgments. Otherwise I'm just paraphrasing from memory, and as I said, I like to state fact here, and how I feel about those facts.

In the meantime, the Republicans have the bully pulpit on the execution of this war. And so far, I haven't seen a damn thing but "stay the course" and "stay until victory."

There IS no victory when you are dealing with an insurgency and a vast network of individual terrorist cells. This is not a conventional war. Like my son and my nephew both say, the same people who come out in the day and shake the hands of the Marines and let their kids accept candy from the Marines and sell oranges at the roadside stand to the Marines, all smiles and warmth and hospitality for the military photographers...are the very same ones who creep out under cover of darkness and blow those same Marines to smitherines.

They can't trust anyone. They have to burn their mail to protect their families at home. They don't even know if they can believe their interpreters. They can' t drive down the road if a piece of trash blows across it because it could be a bomb. One time my son walked into a house and it was packed to the gills with explosives, enough to leave a 30-foot crater in the ground when they destroyed it later. His blood turned to ice water and all he could do was back slowly out.

Tell me how you can claim "victory" over that? Huh? Tell me.

Anonymous, if you think this is serious left-wing Bush bashing, well, I'm sorry for you. This is honest and open debate and is anything BUT bashing. Like I said, look around a little and you'll see what bashing is. Over here, you won't get it. All you'll get is one woman terrified for her son and two nephews and all their buddies, frustrated and angry and seeking answers. And MarineMom, I welcome any back-and-forth between anybody. I respect the opinions of any and all who choose to post them on this blog, and I welcome honest and open debate.

Give me a couple days, and I'll put together the brightest and the best that Democratic thinkers have been able to put forth on how best to work with what we have in Iraq and Afghanistan. Read it, and wonder how and why mythologies get started, like, all any of us wants to do is cut and run.

11 Comments:

Blogger MarineMom said...

Dear Deanie,

Thank you!

Semper Fidelis and hugs,
Tami aka Marine mom

6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a very good post. I, and I suspect everyone else reading this blog, have great respect for you as a mother of a son in Iraq. Also, the insights you offer from your son's perspective are interesting and valuable.
Any criticisms you have of the war from a military point of view or of political miscalculations are definitely worth listening to.
I am still waiting for your Democratic response to the War on Terror and the War in Iraq but I respect your decision to really get your facts together before setting forth a policy.
You might even convince me because I am open to any idea which truly helps in the War on Terror.
Even though your personal "attacks" (how can you say that in so many words calling Bush a draft dodger is not personal) on Bush may seem mild in comparison to some of the others you read on your extreme extreme left sites, what purpose do they serve? You only further close the Bush supporters to your ideas and to "independents" you identify yourself with the knee jerk Bush haters.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Deanie Mills said...

Thank you, anonymous, I appreciate the kind remarks. I should have a post discussing some Democratic ideas re the war ready Sat. afternoon sometime, Sun. at the latest.

But see, I really honestly--in all sincerity--fail to see how honest criticism has, in today's political climate, suddenly become "ATTACKS."

My goodness, politics is now and always has been a bloodsport, period. Back in the day of newspapers, before radio and TV, rival newspapers published blistering editorials on opposing candidates, as well as political cartoons.

No one, but no one plays this game harder or better than the Republicans. In response, the Democrats--by some of their own, even--are accused of being "wimps" and "weak" if they try to run a positive campaign.

Case in point: Democratic National Convention in 2004. Not one personal "attack" was made on the sitting president of the United States because Democrats were trying to run a "positive campaign." Fast-forward to the Republican convention: people wearing "purple-heart band-aids" as a way of sneering at a decorated veteran of a war this president did not fight.

I bring it up that Bush did not fight in that war, by choice, and I get accused of "personal attacks."

That's just silly. Rush Limbaugh would be cackling. Ann Coulter would merely roll her eyes and sneer. Karl Rove would be loading the cannons for another volley.

What I'm saying is actually pretty serious. This White House has fostered an "us against them" climate in which, to level the most innocent of probes into their agenda automatically aligns one into the "enemies list" category and therefore open to personal destruction. (Even outing a CIA operative's name in retribution because her husband wrote a critical op-ed in the NY Times.)

This is a democracy, which this administration loves to trumpet, so therefore, honest criticism is not only possible, but ESSENTIAL, for the preservation of that same democracy.

To say, essentially, "if you say anything mean about this president, then I won't listen to you, because you're being mean," when, at the same time, this White House is saying all kinds of horrendous things about their opponents and somehow THAT'S okay...well, I don't understand that.

Politics is a contact sport, which is not to say that, at least on this blog anyway, there won't be rules of mutual respect in play.

It's a serious game though, because all our lives are ultimately impacted--most especially those of our troops and, in a PERSONAL WAY, my son--which is why I take it seriously, and why I will speak the truth as I see it.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Deanie Mills said...

Marinemom, give me your blog address and I'd love to drop by for a cup of coffee.

Except I don't drink coffee.

How 'bout a Coke? ha ha

Semper Fi backatcha baby. Dustin called at four a.m. this morning--I answered the phone before I was even awake, started talking in my sleep ha ha. It's always good when they call because, right then at that moment, you know they are alive and well.

God Bless,
DFM

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deanie,
I have a question. Why do we care if there is a civil war in Iraq? I'm sure that is silly question to some, but I really need to know. I understand the "its broke we have to fix it" but those people have been killing each other for thousands of years. My son told me more than once it is a war we cannot win, and he is there fighting it.
I have not heard from him in almost a month, this is the longest he has ever gone without calling home and it is weighing heavy on me. I know he is okay-- I have a very good friend and incredible fellow Marine mom who asks her son about my son everytime he calls.
Jamie

10:27 PM  
Blogger MarineMom said...

if you click the marinemom link it will take you to blogspot blog Deanie .. but I mirror it on MSN Spaces too. The addies are http://usmsmom.blogspot.com and http://spaces.msn.com/faefyre

Great that you heard from Dustin. Hope he is adjusting okay. As for Eric .. he called me yesterday too. You can read about it on my most recent blog.

Hi Jamie! I would like to address your question. The thing that I find distressing about civil war in Iraq is the fact that it would probably end up as a totarian (sp?) state again and we would have another Saddam Hussein on our hands (and trying to destroy ALL THE INFIDELS). And, if you get a chance, read some of the Iraqi blogs that are linked from my blog. These are intelligent people that WANT peace. I ... just like many of the Marines I have talked to about it ... can see that since we are on the road to helping these people we need to ensure that what we have done is finished and those who have died, have no died in vain.

As much as I HATE having our Marines and soldiers over there dying, its something that I feel we do need to see to completion. Though I, just like most people, would like to see a better PLAN for the completion of this and to get our guys and gals home where they belong.

Deanie touched on that problem .. the problem that instead of trying to work together our Government is trying to tear itself apart from within. Its one way or another and noone wants to compromise. Usually when I hear the political stuff going on .. I am just thinking .. "jeez .. grow up!!" .. so I try to avoid that part of blogging. But that doesn't mean I will avoid a good debate!!!

hugs
Tami aka Marine mom

8:00 AM  
Blogger MarineMom said...

oops ... that is http://usmcmom.blogspot.com . that's what I get for not proofing LOL.

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tami
Yeah I see what you mean. And I surely agree that Iraq being led by another Hussein would be horrible. But then again I just dont care what they do over there, of course I care what it could mean for the safety of the US.
Ben says that there is no way that all of then terrorist will ever be eradicated and that as soon as the coalition leaves it will go back to the way it was. He says there are terrorists being born right now and a dictator who will if not take over Iraq some other country. Him and my mom (who is a poly sci major) say the same thing. But I hope that we do make a difference some how so that the future is better not just for the Iraqis but for all countries. Thats probably asking for too much.
I agree with your statement about no one dying in vain.

I recently asked my mom to explain to me the differences in left wing right wing etc. She taught poly sci before going to work for the government.
She said they are all a bunch of idiots (some) that dont give a flip about our government only what they need to say to get elected. This from a woman who campaigned for Jimmy Carter, is in the most notable women of Texas book. Votes individually and not a straight ticket.
Anyway I will read some of the blogs. Thanks Tami

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O/T Ben called. Finally! He has the shingles. From stress. He hasnt been able to call home because he cant, he is so down,miserable and tired.
For the first time ever,he told me to come to homecoming. And of course I cant go. This whole thing BITES.

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand perfectly that politics is a blood sport and everything is fair game. I accept that.

It's just that starting out, I thought your blog was going to be more thoughtful and original than echoing the left wing exaggerations. (I am not saying that the right wing does not do the same thing.)

As you said there are plenty of places to read extreme statements from both sides.

Just saying that your blog is the most interesting and edifying for me when you are writing from personal experience.

It is very thought provoking to read the struggle the military Moms are going through to figure out how we can combat terror and what part Iraq plays in it.

This is a very tough question and I think many Americans are struggling with the answers and are not sure what to think. The military Moms have to face the question every day.

I think President Bush is sincerely doing what he thinks will keep American safe. Only time will tell if he is correct or not.

If the Democrats have a better plan, let them put it forth rather than seemingly spending all their energies attacking Bush.

I am an Independent but and open to any ideas that make sense to me.

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I am an Independent but and..."

Hey no name, did you drop a "t"?

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home