Monday, January 16, 2006

The other day, when I told an acquaintance that my son had just deployed for his second combat tour in Iraq with the Marines, he said, "Why is he going back? He's already been there once. Did he volunteer or something?"

No, you moron. He did NOT volunteer. You see, this is a war where absolutely NO ONE is expected to make any sacrifices whatsoever except for the military and their families. Since there is no national draft, then only those who are already serving get the exciting opportunity to serve again in this war...and again...and again. My nephew is there right now for his THIRD time. Most people go about their daily lives and never think about this war. It's background wallpaper to them. Maybe...an interesting video game or TV show.

The press made a big deal about 2,000 dead as if the previous 1999 somehow did not matter. Since that big anniversary, there have been more than 200 MORE killed in this bloody, senseless excuse for a political campaign. Every single day, at least three more soldiers or Marines die. And for every dead soldier or Marine there are 30 or 40 wounded. They lose legs and arms and half their heads, and they come home to morons like my acquaintance, who somehow think they asked for it.

The mothers who send their sons and daughters over there have to do things like, sit down with their child and discuss wills and funeral arrangements and who will get their favorite CDs if "anything should happen" to their beloved child. They have to sign powers of attorney with their child (if they're not married), so that, should that child wind up brain-dead, we can make medical decisions for them.

During my son's previous deployment, he was in intense combat conditions every single day for months. He slept in abandoned, bombed-out buildings, carried his whole life on his back, ate MREs for weeks at a time, got one shower every three weeks, and called home for two-minute increments with a sat phone the com guys loaned him while sitting on top of a building, watching for snipers. He did not call home weekly or keep a blog. He was fighting a war.

When he was home on pre-deployment leave this time, he had nightmares about going back. Of course he's proud to do his patriotic duty blah-blah, and yes, he did volunteer to join the Marines, but no, he did not want to go back to this war. He was scared.

And I had to put him back on that plane again, and wonder if it was the last time I would ever get to see my sweet, funny, bright, generous, loving son ever again.

And if he should come back safe and sound and in one piece (physically, anyway), then all I can do is pray...that he will not be sent back over there yet again. Because I don't care what the politicians say, this war is going to drag on for years.

I hope my acquaintance thinks about that the next time he waves his flag or slaps a yellow ribbon magnet on his pickup truck.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This entry made me think. I am not in the military and I don't have any military relatives. I appreciate what the military does but I do take them for granted. I hear what is happening on the news and think that is terrible or that is great and then I go on about my life.

But this entry made me think about the families who are having to live 24 hours a day with anxiety about what could happen to a loved one fighting for my country to keep me safe.

We need to hold these people in our prayers and show our appreciation any way we can.

One question for military families.
What is the best way for the rest of us to show appreciation?

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my small town, rarely a day goes by that someone doesnt thank me for sharing my son, and they tell me to thank him.
One night on the way back from a football game, my daughter is on the drill team, a man ran up to our SUV and was pointing his finger in our car and saying your kid. Needless to say it scared us to death, when we finally got over the initial shock, we figured out he was saying "Thank you kid for me"
My kid fought in Iraq so yours can party in college.

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous asks, "One question for military families. What is the best way for the rest of us to show appreciation?"

One thing you already mentioned that is benefical is to keep these families in your prayers. Most importantly, if you meet someone who have a loved one deployed, a simple thank you or remark such as "we support the troops" goes a long way.

It shows our loved one is NOT forgotten in this face paced society and what they are doing or previously did has meaning.

Just knowing others care can make all the difference in the world! It can turn an anxious day into a more positive one.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

"And for every dead soldier or Marine there are 30 or 40 wounded. They lose legs and arms and half their heads, and they come home to morons like my acquaintance, who somehow think they asked for it."


That is quite a word picture. First off, I wouldn't be as nice as you to call an individual 'an aquaintance' who made a comment like that. I have a certain amount of contempt that is expressed in hostility toward pieces of crap who spout vile like that! But I digress.

To be honest, I am thankful that men and women like your son have made the choice to enlist, and stand between my family of a wife and 4 children, and an enemy that would realish the opportunity to saw their heads off.

I am a veteran. I know first hand that these young warriors would much rather be home, wooing their gals, going to college, or working at the local grocerie store, but they chose to stand in harm's way for a Country that believes freedom is far more important than an individual.

Yes, war is hell. Brutal hell. But in 5 years + since 9/11, there has NOT been another attack on our soil because men and women like your son continue to STAND and defend us.

Please, tell your son and nephew 'Thank You' from another Veteran. Encourage them to continue to Stand, and let them know there are plenty of Americans that find their service and sacrifice comforting.

Semper Fi!

7:09 AM  
Blogger Deanie Mills said...

Gawfer,

Thank you so much for your comments and support, but I must admit, at first, I did not know what in the world you were talking about and couldn't remember even having made that remark! So I checked and discovered that you were commenting on a post I made the 16th of January--almost a full year ago!

God bless you sir, for checking back on my old posts! My son had only just deployed for his second time then, and I was frantic with anxiety. In case you haven't caught up, he has returned safely to us, thank God.

I always enjoy hearing from service men and women, whether active or not. And thank you for YOUR service.

Semper fi,
Deanie

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home