Wednesday, January 25, 2006

"I get tired of all the ungenerous, narrow-minded rants of the liberal Bush-haters."

In response to this post I'd like to make a list:

*"Slick Willy"
*Rush Limbaugh
*Ann Coulter
*Bill O'Reilly
*Chris Matthews
*Karl Rove
*FOX News--any talking head, most any time.
*More Hillary-hating and Clinton-hating books than I could possibly list, many of which are available in our local public library, in the same section as books with titles like, THE FAITH OF GEORGE W. BUSH.

Back when Bill Clinton was president, the airwaves of radio and television spewed hatred and rage the likes of which I had never seen in all the years I've been watching politics. Bill Clinton was accused of having orchestrated the MURDER of one of his best friends, Vince Foster. He was accused of having used sheriff's deputies to procure women for him, of having fathered babies out of wedlock, of having run a land-scam. And that doesn't even MENTION what-all Hillary was accused of, from lesbian affairs on down.

Books were rushed to press full of any lie and insinuation anyone wanted to make and fronted on talk shows as absolute fact. Respected journalists ran stories without fact-checking them, only to learn later that they were utter and absolute fabrications, but by then, it was too late.

During the Clinton years, the Republican oversight committee put out MORE THAN 1200 SUBPEONAS to members of the Clinton administration for suspicion of nefarious deeds.

A right-wing special prosecutor spent tens of millions of dollars, vast amounts of federal investigators, and imprisoned one woman in an attempt to get her to testify against them--YEARS investigating every single nook and cranny of the Clintons and was unable to find a single thing to charge them with other than the fact that he lied under oath about having had an affair.

During the five years Bush has been in office, according to the The New York Times, THAT VERY SAME Senate oversight committee has issued the following number of subpoenas: THREE.

Even now, with more corruption being unearthed from beneath every rock in Washington than that city has ever seen, the Senate oversight committee appoints one of the Senators named in an indictment against disgraced lobbyist Abramoff to HEAD THE COMMITTEE.

Clinton was impeached and nearly removed from office by the Republican Congress because he lied about having had an affair to protect his career and his marriage--something many, many self-righteous politicians had to plead guilty to, including Newt Gingrich and Henry Hyde.

When I was researching a book back in the 90's, I attended the National Soldier of Fortune convention and gun show in Las Vegas one year during that time. The gun show booths handed out literally hundreds of Clinton-hating documents, and the very atmosphere of some of those meetings simply radiated hatred and rage toward Clinton and toward the government.

I told my conservative friends at the time that I thought the hate-rhetoric should be toned down because it was going to push someone teetering on the edge of sanity over the edge and something terrible was going to happen. They made fun of me, argued with me, disagreed with me, said I was being paranoid, and went back to listening to Rush.

Then Oklahoma City happened, and it wasn't Mideast terrorists who did THAT.

So don't talk to me about how the "liberals" hate George Bush and how unseemly it is not to have more respect for the President of the United States, because the same people who howl about that now did not hesitate to refer to the 42nd President of the United States as "Slick Willy."

If there's any hatred and rage in the political arena these days, the Republican right need only look in the mirror.

9 Comments:

Blogger MarineMom said...

Great post, Deanie. You're right .. it goes both ways. There are way too many black and white lines drawn in this country between the parties nowadays.

I have to say that if any of the people (both extreme right and left wing) would ever pull their heads out of the sand they would find the U.S.A. and its people, just like the rest of the world, is made up of many shades of grey (or for the very optimistic ... bright colors!), and not just black or white, or, right or wrong.

And its much too bad that not everyone can be tolerant of their fellow man.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Deanie Mills said...

Boy we are sisters of the heart!

Conservatives don't believe me when I say that I am not a liberal. After all, I voted for Reagan twice and Bush I once, as well as many others--I've always had an independent mind.

But when you try to debate, people get so mad so fast. It's never been this bad before and I blame talk show hosts for fostering that kind of polarization.

Anyway, I was just getting ready to comment to you that my son carried the SAW on HIS first deployment!

I think he's kinda glad not to have it now. It's a great weapon but it weighs 20 lbs!

He told us some funny stories when he got home about using the SAW that your son would get a kick out of. Dustin is 3/5 Lima so they have a lot in common already--I guess your son serves with my nephew? They're on the homeward stretch.

Orion was lookin' pretty good last night, and this morning, no news of fatalities, so it's a good day.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In other words, you justify your hatred of Bush and your personal attacks on him by using the worst examples from the other side.
Then the other side uses your hatred to justify their rants and it goes on and on.
Instead of personal attacks why don't you put forth the liberal agenda so that people can vote for you and put your side in office.
I think one of the other comment people asked about the liberal's war policies, but instead of setting forth a thoughtful response you respond with another rant.
I think most people in America would agree with MarineMom that the world is made up of many shades of gray. Your blog started out that way but has become just typical extreme left Bush bashing.

12:59 PM  
Blogger MarineMom said...

Okay .. I am sorry ... what DID I miss here? Bush-bashing?? Bush 2 is only mentioned once and most of the blog is about how they bashed Clinton and how the Bush admin is like above reproach. I don't see it anon.

Deanie .. check my blog if you get a chance .. we (in the blogging community) are on a campaign to help a yougn wounded Marine named Eddie.

Semper Fi!
Tami aka Marine Mom

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps I should have said Bush and Bush adminstration haters. In the blog previous to this one Cheny, Rumsfeld, Rove and Bush were called "chickenhawks" and their integrity questioned. The usual liberal jibes about Halliburton were thrown in.
What I am saying is that the Democrats need to state what they would do in the war on terror. Let them formulate a policy and put it in front of the voters and see who wins. I certainly think that there have been mistakes in our conduct of the Iraq war. But lets start where we are right now, not where we were last year and formulate a stategy for the war on terror. Where do the Democrats stand? Do they want to pull out? Do they want to go to the U.N.?

8:09 AM  
Blogger MarineMom said...

Why do you consider the 'jibes' at Haliburton, which by the way, there is 'proof' behind the 'jibes' I saw listed, as being a sign of being a 'liberal'? I truly don't consider myself a liberal although I do have some liberal tendencies. I see the need for us to have taken a stand in Iraq .. but I do agree with your comments that some kind of 'plan' need to be completed concerning our presence there. I also have some 'conservative' tendencies. I think the point that Deanie is trying to make is that some people are like me ... unless they are controlled by party lines ... they tend to make up their own minds about things individually and not all choose 'liberal or conservative' ideas specifically in every case. At least the ones that aren't sheep don't. That's what I feel about people that follow one party line totally .. I feel they are being led. We need more people out here that want to make up their own minds about each situation individually.

Okay .. now I rambled .. and I hate when I do that LOL! Hope you don't mind debate here Deanie!

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an Independent and I get tired of both parties initiating personal attacks on each other, name calling and such.
That being said, through all the rhetoric I think I know where the Republicans stand. I'm not sure where the Democrats really and truly stand on the War on Terror and if all they do is attack Bush, it doesn't help me decide. So I kind of agree with anonymous about the state of the Democratic Party.

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow I havent read anything for a while. Been kind of busy with my six kids.
I saw a saying once that read something like I dont fly with my left wing or my right wing, I just try to fly straight. Its 12 30 am (cant sleep becasue of the nightmares) so I may not have that right, but its close.
This doesnt have alot to do with this posts, but I have another question I have posted a couple of times elsewhere that I dont support this war, and it would take too much room to go into why, but I do support the troops, my son, Tamis sonyour son and nephew, the entire military. I have lost friends and really ticked people off by admitting to this. So my question is can you support the military? The job they do? But not support this war?
My family is rich with war heroes and military. I am not an unamerican war-protestor, I just dont agree with why we are there.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Deanie Mills said...

Bensmom, your anguished cry about whether it is possible to hate this war and love the troops is EXACTLY the way I felt when my son first deployed in '04.

I was desperately lonely,surrounded by flag-wavers during a time when, to question the war was not to love your country, which could not have been further from the truth for me. I had no one to talk to about this, because, like you, I knew it would cost me friendships or family--and marital--peace, and I didn't want to do anything to hurt my son.

So I wrote to the late, great, Col. David Hackworth, who was at the time the most decorated soldier alive, who had served in a number of wars, and who had written a best-selling book about how, when he returned to Vietnam, outraged and horrified at what he had seen there (from the Army, not from the enemy) that he turned into an activist to bring the war to an end.

God bless him, he wrote me back, in a wonderful message that absolutely gave me peace of mind.

However, as I write this right now, my husband is dancing on one foot ready to check HIS e-mail, so I'm going to get off, but I will find that letter I got from Col. Hackworth for you.

What I will do is, post one piece on Democratic plans to deal with this terrible mess we've got over there, and then, post a piece on what Col. Hackworth said to me.

By the way, my son is well aware of how I feel, and he respects that and does not in any way feel that I do not support him or his buddies or my nephew. Every single week I send them both funny cards and jokes, I send packages and MotoMails and letters as we all do.

When he returned from Fallujah, I showed him Col. Hackworth's letter, and he was deeply moved by it and pleased that I had found some comfort from someone nobody DARED to call "unpatriotic."

(Six kids good Lord!) When you're able to log on again, I think you'll find some peace of mind, my friend--and thank you for describing so eloquently the daily, minute-by-minute TERROR of having a loved one in harm's way, and why so many of those of us who do are so damn angry.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home