Tuesday, October 31, 2006

IT'S A HOAX

Guys, I have received word from an unimpeachable source that the story of the 300 casualties is an absolute HOAX. I have requested permission to quote the full e-mail from the individual who wrote to me, and am awaiting that. If he gives permission, I'll quote in full, but suffice it to say that he was in-country at the time and spoke to those who were there, and his reputation is absolutely beyond reproach.

I can't write much today or tomorrow about it because I won't be at my computer, but as soon as possible, I will pull together as much research as I can. In the meantime, I am going to do everything in my power to see HOW this was done and WHO did it.

Nobody hates this war more than the families of the Marines and soldiers who are fighting and dying for it, and for anyone to think that they are actually helping in some kind of anti-war cause by dummying up a bogus list of war dead is not only morally bankrupt but absolutely counter-productive.

I must admit that this is the first time I have been taken in by an Internet hoax, and I apologize for posting without checking further, but I confess, they got me right in the gut; and I reacted emotionally, which is the first thing any journalist, even an Internet journalist, learns not to do.

It was the damn list. How do you fake NINE PAGES of names, ranks, and units? I still haven't figured that out, but I intend to try.

Whoever did this is lying scum of the earth--HOW DARE THEY manipulate the minds and hearts of those of us who have family and friends serving this country? Nobody hates this war more than me, but to perpetrate such a terrible lie is the lowest form of humanity.

I'm going to ride this like a bucking bronco and see if I can rally other bloggers not only to reveal the hoax, but to make it absolutely clear that such lies will not be tolerated in the anti-war community. I will also notify organizations such as Military Families Speak Out and Veterans Against the War that this is a hoax and to not only not let themselves be taken in, but to denounce it whenever possible.

As soon as I hear from my source, if he gives permission, I will post his e-mail in full.

In the meantime, check back in a few days and I'll have further updates.

2 Comments:

Blogger MarineMom said...

I knew I could count on you to find out the truth! That's why I am a faithful reader of your blog now.

I know what you mean about stuff like that hitting you in the gut though. Even though I doubted the validity of the list from the beginning, just seeing someone report something like that hurts.

I suppose that it has to be a lot like the way all the republicans are reacting to John Kerry's big mistake (in not reading a stupid joke right). I really had to refrain myself from becoming abusive to people that I really care about that believe the crap about what John Kerry supposedly meant (ask Jamie). But I refrain because I respect them, but why can't they see the plain TRUTH?!?!? Why can you hit them over the head with it over and over and they still believe everything someone they believe is in authority tells them?!?!!

omg .. I am STILL confused.

If I have any questions about anything ... don't be surprised to get an email from me!

hugs
Tami

12:23 PM  
Blogger Deanie Mills said...

Yeah,Dustin said that out at Pendleton, everybody's "making a big deal out of the Kerry thing." He paused, then added, "They seem to forget that he served in Viet Nam. They can all kiss Kerry's ass, as far as I'm concerned." I had to laugh out loud. And this from a Marine!

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home