Tuesday, July 11, 2006

"I AM A MARINE TO THE VERY END"

"This is me, this is who I am. I am a Marine to the very end.
I will live, I will fight, I will kill, I will die,
I will live by the motto that is Semper Fi.
I come to countries in far-off lands
To fight for freedom, for which most are scared to stand.
Do not judge me for what I do, for what I do I do for you.
I will kill for those who cannot kill, I will die for those scared to.
I will leave my loved ones, my kids my wife
I will leave them behind to give you a better life.
I have seen and done things that will haunt my dreams,
I have given up many things for you to be free.
Do not feel pity for me for this is my choice I choose,
I choose this life so peiple like you can have a voice.
I will die on my feet, I will not live on my knees
I do this so America can stay free.
This is me, this is who I am,
I am a Marine to the very end."

This was written by Staff Sgt. Raymond J. Plouhar, 3rd Battalion 5th Marine Regiment, who died from wounds received the day before as a machine gunner for the Jump Platoon, the battalion commander's personal security detachment.

The poem, which was sent to his fellow Marines by his wife Leigh following his death, was read aloud to the Marines gathered at a memorial service in the Anbar Province held for Staff Sgt. Plouhar and his comrade in arms, Cpl. Jason Morrow, 27, who was killed in that same firefight.

The men join my son's buddy, Pfc. Rex Page in flag-draped coffins to be shipped home just a short period of time before the rest of the unit gets to return home and hug their families.

Staff Sgt. Plouhar was 31 years old, and leaves behind a wife and two little boys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home