Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Getting Rid of Comment Spam

Okay, guys, here's what we're gonna do about unwelcome spam-links in the comment section of Blue Inkblots.

I'd like to thank my good friend, Drew Bullard, owner of Computer Solutions in Snyder, Texas, who runs the Snydertexas.net website that holds a link to my blog, for explaining to me, the computer moron, how to fix this problem.

I have two choices to avoid unwanted comments. One thing I can do is moderate all comments before they appear and delete what I consider unwelcome. However, at this time, I see no need to do this, because my readers are a classy bunch, and so far, our discourse has been wonderfully civilized and courteous, even when tempers flare. For that, I am most grateful.

I don't always get to check my e-mail or my blog every single day, and I'd hate for someone's comment to be held up so long that they feared it had been deleted. So for now, as they say on Saturday Night Live, "Talk amongst yourselves."

The other choice I have, and the one I have made, is to install a feature called, "word verification." This is a minor pain to those of us wanting to post comments, but it will protect all of us from these infuriating spam-messages.

When you get ready to post a comment, you will be shown a goofy word-symbol combination, and you'll be asked to re-type it. Once you do that, you can post anything you like as long as it's, well, you know, classy, like you've been.

This feature requires a human being to get past it. Someone who puts this blogger address on a computer spamming system will try to post one of their annoying little messages but will be unable to because computers aren't as smart as they think they are.

So we should all be protected from that particular hassle. And as long as we can agree to disagree, or raucously agree, in a vigorous, courteous, wild and crazy way, then I see no need to read your comments before they are posted, nor do I see any reason to insist you become a "member" before you can post.

We'll see how it goes, and bear with me, your host computer idiot-savant, while I grope my way through cyberspace.

Deanie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home