Thursday, December 14, 2006

FORGOTTEN TROOPS WHO COULD USE CARE PACKAGES--AND THEY'RE NOT IN IRAQ

Every year at this time, thousands upon thousands of care packages are shipped to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. I know that the men and women who receive those packages at this difficult time are deeply grateful for the care and concern sent to them by strangers at the holidays.

My sister-in-law, Kay Hale, is one hero who never fought in a war but has made life so much better for so many who do. Not only does she greet and send off troops with mini-care packages every single Sunday at DFW airport, and not only is she the mother of a Marine who deployed three times to the Anbar province in Iraq, but through the USO, she has personally overseen the shipping of thousands of care packages overseas.

This year, along with 150 that she personally helped to send to our troops overseas, she also helped ship dozens of decorated Christmas trees. On Christmas Day this year, she will not be home with her cherished granddaughter--she'll be at the USO in Dallas, Texas, spreading cheer to a bunch of homesick GI's.

Our fighting men and women are called heroes so often, but I don't think they could do what they do without those of us here at home who are watching their backs.

I know during my son's last deployment, their FOB didn't even have a mess hall or a PX. They lived off of MRE's for weeks. So every week we'd send him potted meat, packages of fruit, beef jerky, pouches of tuna and chicken, cans of ravioli, hard candies, been dip and chips--you name it; if it was edible and would withstand 125-degree heat, we sent it to him and his buddies.

My sister, Jeanne Re, is an Air Force veteran herself who has been an activist in veteran's causes for many years, and it was she who drew my attention to another group of troops who could sure use our help, not just here at the holidays, but year round.

I know I would not have thought of this on my own. It is my privilege to do my own little part, by drawing attention to it here on Blue Inkblots.

According to the website, www.Military.com, a report from Stars and Stripes mentions that donations are needed for wounded troops who are patients at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. I will quote the piece in its entirety:


The hospitals's Family Assistance Center is seeking shoes, gloves, and winter jackets, postage stamps, prepaid phone cards, weightlifting gloves (for wheelchair patients), trousers with snaps or zips along the legs, razors, and prepaid gas or grocery cards. The Center requests that no cash or used items be donated. Donations can be sent to: Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Medical Family Assistance Center; Bldg. 2, 3rd Floor, Room 3E01, 6900 Georgia Ave., N.W.; Washington, D.C. 20307-5001.

Looking for ways to support and honor U.S. military servicemembers and veterans who protect our security and freedom? Go to the Military.com Support Our Troops webpage to learn more.


I checked out that webpage. If you would like to learn more, you may contact:

Walter Reed Medical Family Assistance Center (MEDFAC) at:
(202) 782-2071 or toll free 1-866-546-1310


I would also like to point out that there are seriously wounded troops recovering all over the country. They start out at Walter Reed and then are sent to hospitals closer to home for more recovery. San Antonio, for example, has a world-renowned burn center where troops who have been "blown up"--as the guys call getting hit by an IED--recuperate.

So I would suggest that you can send your care packages to Walter Reed, but also, you might check out hospitals close to your area. See if any guys there could use phone cards and other items. Or maybe a visit and a smile.

Keep in mind that so many of our wounded troops are young men and women with young spouses who are trying to cope with, not just this horrific stress of the injury and having to visit their spouses hundreds of miles from their own homes, and the financial hardships that entails, but they usually have little children at home as well. So gift cards from places like Wal-Mart would be a tremendous help.

This kind of assistance requires taking a bit more trouble than just sending a check someplace, and Christmas is, indeed, just around the corner. But these brave and mostly-forgotten men and women are going to need those phone cards and Wal-Mart and gas gift cards for a very long time. Most UPS offices and private mail centers will wrap stuff and ship it for you.

Or, just stuff a handful of gift cards in an envelope.

Let's let them know that we are STILL grateful for their blood sacrifices, that we will NEVER forget them, and that we still have their backs.

God bless them all, and God bless those at home who remember.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not anonymous, I am Deanie's sister, Jeanne. Yea, I do my part for Veteran's rights but my sister has worked tirelessly over the past few years to alert us all to the dangers of the current war in Iraq. She has defended the young men and women who spend TODAY trying not to die. I get tired of her tirades but I have never felt more love and respect for someone who never gives up. Fight the good fight, sweet sister, I wish I was brave enough to stand beside you.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Deanie Mills said...

Wow! A NICE Anonymous post for a change!!!

You do stand beside me sis, in every way, every day.

Love and semper fi,
Deanie

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deanie, you are so right. There is a group called Soldiers Angels who put together backpacks of neccessry items for wounded sildiers who arrive at the hospital in Germany with nothing but the cloths on their backs, which are then usually cut off of them. There is also a link called Sew Much Comfort where volunteers can learn how to sew adaptive clothing for the wounded at Walter Reed and Bethesda. Many of these wounded are not able to get regular boxers, pants or shirts on, if they have burns or amputation issues. They deserve to go to physical therapy with dignity. I work at a VA hospital as a nurse and the words "the price of freedom is visible here" are the first thing you read when you walk through the doors. Thanks for your post! Kathy

12:24 PM  
Blogger Deanie Mills said...

God bless you, Kathy, for the truly heroic work you do each and every day. I know the men and women who rely on you for care would not be able to imagine their lives right now without you.

And thank you so much for drawing our attention to these other websites and services. I'm not a sewer, but I know many fine women who are, and who could whip up snap-britches in a minute.

I'm going to leave this post through the holidays, rather than post up and over it, in order to draw as much attention as I can, and from time to time, I'll post reminders.

Thank you for your service to our country, and God bless.

Semper fi,
Deanie

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deanie, my actions are far from heroic. I am a Marine Mom just like you. When my son joined the Corp, it occured to me that there was a way to give back, something, to our troops, for the sacrifices they and their families make. I try to do that by taking care of them the best I can at the VA. I never feel like I am doing enough! I experience emotions and frustrations similar to yours and have a heart in the same place as yours. The only difference is, my son has yet to deploy to Iraq. That takes place this April/May. I find that the closer we get to his deployment, the greater my need to do for all of our kids. Every time I see the face of one of our wounded or fallen, I see all of our kids faces. We have an obligation to see that the right thing is done for our troops under any circumstance because of the enormity of the commitment that they have made to all of us. Shame on us if all necessary support systems are not there for them when they need it. I am not aiming my comment at you. My comments are made in the general sense of "we" as an American populus. We need to make certain thet our Vet Health Care System is top notch. In a country that has the greatest health care sytem available in the world, we need to make certain that our "wounded warriors and Vets have the benefit of whatever resourse is available. The same resourses as a private citizen is entitled to. I look forward to your posts avery day. Have a Blessed Holiday and God Bless all of our kids! Kathy

5:53 PM  
Blogger Deanie Mills said...

Well, you're a hero to me, Kathy, and I'm sure to the men and women who depend upon you.

I absolutely agree with your comments re the support our guys should be getting. I mentioned that to "Jarhead John," when I said that this admin. has repeatedly cut funding for veteran's programs and for the care received by returning wounded.

Soldiers with the Natn'l. Guard get BILLED for their care even if they were wounded in action. I know of one reservist who was sent a bill for the body armor they had to cut off him when he was "blown up." This is insane.

I think it's one of the reasons I get so rabid and foam at the mouth when I see anyone from this admin. pose in front of a phalanx of flags or troops and give stirring speeches about their "noble sacrifice," because I know the dirty little secret behind all that supposed patriotism--that when they get home missing half their bodies, they are pretty much forgotten.

To me, the most telling reason for John Murtha's conversion from hawk to fierce war critic was that he has made a habit of visiting the wounded at Walter Reed every week since the war began.

It's what drives him. And they question his patriotism.

Don't get me started.

Love and semper fi, and God bless you, Kathy, and your loved ones this holiday.

Deanie

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you know Deanie my son is one of the wounded, although not in Iraq just shortly after returning. We have had an incredible amount of support and are so thankful for the gifts, donations and prayers sent our way. Ben is on his way, he is doing so well, we have even been on the evening news in Houston.
Thanks Deanie for reminding everyone about our wounded, whether at home or over there, they deserve our help too.
jamie
www.carepages.com benhardgrove
abcnews 13 in houston video can be seen of mine and Ben's interview

4:16 PM  
Blogger Deanie Mills said...

Jamie sweetie, not a day goes by without thoughts and prayers for you and that beautiful boy and all your other brood of chickies; moreso, of course, during the holiday season.

You are just about the bravest and bestest mama I know. God bless you, and all the others whose lives have been forever changed because of this war and what it has done to their children and families.

Love and semper fi,
Deanie

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home